– As an active member of the Save Water and Green Areas (SAWAGA) Movement Inc., the Malaybalay City Water District (MCWD) once again joined the Tree Growing and Monitoring Activity on November 17, 2018 at Brgy. Kibalabag, Malaybalay City.
As part of the Corporate Social Responsibility of the MCWD and considering that the bulk water supply mainly comes from Kibalabag Creek, the management headed by GM Glenrose T. Ledesma decided to adopt the five (5) hectare area. GM Ledesma together with the MCWD employees planted Banyan Trees in its designated 5-hectare area.
The SAWAGA Movement Inc. headed by Engr. Virgilio R. Hoy, Sr. with the support of the volunteers from different offices and organizations undertook the planting of Banyan Tree to an additional 10-hectare area. The SAWAGA Movement Inc. has now planted a total area of 36 hectares with banyan trees in Brgy. Kibalabag.
Other volunteers in the said activity simultaneously monitored and assessed the survival growth of the Banyan Trees which were earlier planted in the 26 ha. area.
The said activity was participated by volunteers from the following offices and organizations:
- Department of Environment and Natural Resources represented by Asst. Regional Director for Management, Felix Mirasol
- Officials from Brgy. 4, Brgy. 8, Brgy. 9 and Brgy. Aglayan
- Department of Education – Malaybalay City
- Malaybalay City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (CDRRMC)
- Volunteers from 911
- Philippine National Red Cross
- Members of the 4Ps of Brgy. Kibalabag representing the Department of Social Welfare and Development
This tree growing is part of the long term activity of the SAWAGA Movement Inc. in its goal to restore the watershed in Brgy. Kibalabag and to promote conservation of the natural resources through the spirit and value of volunteerism as residents of Malaybalay City.